Towns

Suva - Walu BaySuva – is the capital and largest city of Fiji. It is located on the southeast coast of the island of Viti Levu, in the Rewa Province, Central Division. In 1877, it was decided to make Suva the capital of Fiji when the geography of former main European settlement at Levuka on the island of Ovalau proved too restrictive. The administration of the colony was moved from Levuka to Suva in 1882.

Lautoka – is the second largest city of Fiji. It is in the west of the island of Viti Levu, 24 kilometres north of Nadi, and is the second port of entry in Fiji, after Suva. Lying in the heart of Fiji’s sugar cane growing region, it is known as the Sugar City. Covering an area of 16 square kilometres, it had a population of 52,220 at the 2007 census, the most recent to date.

Ba – is a district situation on the North Western part of the island of Viti Levu in Fiji. The name Ba is also used for a province, a tikina (A native Fijian administrative region comprising several villages), a town and a river. Ba district comprises the areas surrounding Ba Town and includes the Fijian administrative tikinas of Ba and Magodro. Ba district is in the Western Division. Ba is a sugar cane growing district and sugar cane farming and employment in the Ba Sugar Mill are the main areas of employment. Some 80 percent of the residents of Ba District are of Indian origin. The Ba District soccer team is the most successful soccer team in Fiji.

Labasa – is a town in Fiji with a population of 27,949 at the most recent census held in 2007. Labasa is located in Macuata Province, in the north-eastern part of the island of Vanua Levu, and is the largest town on the island. The town itself is located on a delta formed by three rivers – the Wailevu, the Labasa (after which the town is named), and the Qawa. The latter two are connected by an 8-kilometer canal. The main street of Labasa prides itself for having the first set of traffic lights in the entire island.

Lami – is an urban area in Rewa Province, Fiji, north-west of Suva. It was formally incorporated as a Town in 1977, and had a population of 20,529 at the most recent census in 2007. The municipal boundaries enclose an area of 680 square kilometers.

Levuka – founded by trader and settlers as early as 1830, Levuka was the first permanent European settlement in the pacific islands. In years to come the place flourished and attracted cotton and coconut planters, sandalwood and beche de mer traders.

Nausori – is a town in Fiji. It had a population of 47,604 at the 2007 census, the most recent to date. This makes it the fourth most populous municipality in the country. Situated 19 kilometers out of Suva, it forms one pole of the burgeoning Suva-Nausori corridor. Nausori grew up around Fiji’s second sugar mill, which functioned between 1881 and 1959. The Rewa Rice Mill is now located there, as is Nausori International Airport, which serves the capital.

Savusavu – Fiji’s best kept secret, Savusavu is a natural, lush and beautiful paradise on Vanua Levu, Fiji’s other big island. The town of Savusavu is the centre of a wonderfully diverse range of accommodation, activities and adventures. Come and explore the many different resorts and rentals the Savusavu area has to offer.

Sigatoka – is a town in Fiji. It is found on the island of Viti Levu and is situated at the mouth of the Sigatoka River, after which it is named, some 61 kilometers from Nadi. In Fiji’s last census (2007) the population of Sigatoka was at 9622. Sigatoka is the principal urban centre for the province of Nadroga-Navosa.

Tavua – is a town in Fiji, 91 kilometres from Nadi and 9 kilometres from the gold mining settlement of Vatukoula. It was formally incorporated as a Town in 1992 with the appointment of its first Mayor Mr Iliesa Vula from Tavualevu. The town covers a land area of 100 square kilometres, and had a population of 2,418 at the 1996 census, the last to date.

Rakiraki – is a district in Fiji’s Ra Province. It is located about halfway between Suva and Nadi when travelling along the Kings Road, on the northern coast of Viti Levu, Fiji’s largest island. At the 1996 census, the Rakiraki district had a population of 29,137, with 15,325 in the smaller Rakiraki sub-district.

Nadi – is the third-largest conurbation in Fiji. It is located on the western side of the main island of Viti Levu, and had a population of 42,284 at the most recent census, in 2007. Nadi is multiracial with many of its inhabitants Indian or Fijian, along with a large transient population of foreign tourists. Along with sugar cane production, tourism is a mainstay of the local economy.

Navua – Navua District is located within Serua Province in the Central Division of Fiji. During colonial times it used to be a sugar growing area, but the closure of the sugar mill in Navua in 1923 led to a decline in economic activity in the district. The construction of a resort at Pacific Harbour in the 1970s and an influx of tourist related activities has led to increase in economic activity in the area.

Korovou – is a village in the Fijian Tailevu Province, 31 kilometers from Nausori. It is considered the centre of Fiji’s dairy industry, which was established at the end of the First World War by British settlers, on land donated by Fijian chiefs. Descendants of the original settlers still operate a few of Korovou’s dairy farms. Others emigrated in the late 1960s and sold their land to Indo-Fijian investors, angering local chief who claimed that land given by Fijian people should be returned to them. A compromise was eventually worked out, whereby the former landowners would have the first option to purchase any farm coming up for sale.